The Compass Activity is one of the easiest ways I've found for a remote team to explore their work preferences and develop ground rules for how they will work together. While there may be many other activities in my facilitation toolbox, this is my default when the team is short on time or hours of overlap to collaborate on setting up working agreements.
- Instruction manual (Google Doc) describing the exercise, facilitation tips, references and additional resources
- A sample set of Team Notes (Google Doc) and Compass Diagram (Google Slide) for running the Compass Activity with a remote team
- An Aug 2019 presentation where I demonstrated the technique and discussed several possible uses for the Compass Activity
- CAN YOU DO THIS AT SCALE? Yes! I facilitated a session with 80 participants at FunConf on 16 May 2020. You are welcome to review and use the materials:
- My presentation – Essentially I did a quick intro to the activity, got 6-7 volunteers to do a quick 15 min demonstration, and then moved people into breakouts of 5-7 and have them self-facilitate (each breakout nominates a facilitator)